We still need Microsoft Fonts like Times New Roman, Arial, and others in Ubuntu. Usually the font is used by some applications that Ubuntu still has nothing to do with windows like Wine. It is also used to display fonts are generally used in websites and documents. So even though the use of Ubuntu, we still need to install the font known as package-installer ttf-mscorefonts.
For those who have a good internet connection, you can directly perform the installation using the Ubuntu Software Center or Synaptic Package Manager. But those who need internet cafe connection, it is worth trying the following this step
- Download Microsoft Font in Sourceforge
- Download and install cabextract
- Take msttscorefonts.tar.gz in home folder and extract it. You will get the folder with *.exe inside the folder
- Go to msttscorefonts folder using terminal with typing
- Extract the ttf font only using this command in terminal
sudo cabextract *.exe -L -F *.ttf -d /usr/share/fonts/msttcorefonts
- Update the font cache using this command in terminal
sudo fc-cache -fv
After do that, the font will be already in your system.